Here at Cornerstone Animal Hospital in Joplin, Mo, we are proud to specialize in giving the best care to your guinea pig.
Domestic guinea pigs, which are also known as cavies, are friendly, social pets that enjoy interacting with other animals as well as their owners. They are a pear shape and have a lifespan of five to eight years.
These animals descended from South Africa and now love being your pet, especially when you have more than one. They also love having plenty of space, so make sure that their cages are at least seven feet long. They will love it if you put recycled paper in their cage so they can make a bed for themselves.
We love helping you if your furry friend is having any issues. Our friendly and experienced veterinarian will work with you and your guinea pigs to get them back to health so that they can live long and happy lives.
Guinea pigs live an average of five to seven years. This lifespan is longer than many other small pets such as hamsters, gerbils, mice, or rats, all of whom live only a few years. If your life is in transition, a guinea pig may be more portable than a dog or a cat, but remember that five years or more is a significant period of time.
If you are a new guinea pig owner check out these tips to learn how to care for your pet:
- Set up your guinea pig’s cage with appropriate accessories and food before you bring them home.
- Use the same type of food and bedding that they’re used to and introduce new products slowly.
- Be sure to use paper-based bedding, not cedar or pine shavings.
- Cover the cage with a light cloth for the first day or two to allow your guinea pig to explore their new home with greater privacy and fewer distractions.
- Don’t rush to handle your new guinea pig; give them a day or two to acclimate to their new home before you start petting them or picking them up.
- Discourage friends and visitors from handling your new guinea pig during this adjustment period.
If you have any questions regarding our guinea pig services, contact us today at (417) 623-3080.